Berkeley student, Derek Lowe, designed and implemented a fully automated dorm room with lots of cool features. The room can be controlled with a remote, a smartphone app, a tablet app, or by voice. The lights, curtains, and alarm clock are all fully automated and have multiple modes, including “Romantic Mode” and “Party Mode.” I’m assuming these aren’t actually used very often, but I appreciate the optimism.
Advertising on college campus with posters is very old-school, but still very effective. Rock bands and national brands share the limited space that a campus can offer, so what are you doing with your poster design? Are your posters full of text and hard to read? Did you go with the “safe” design? Campus postering is one of the cheaper ways to get your message seen by college students. Here are some examples of posters that may give you the inspiration to rethink your own design.
1. I promise to hire a real designer to revamp my website, logo, and sell sheets.
2. I promise to rethink Facebook and ask if it’s really right for my business.
3. I promise to pick one social media channel and use it to build my reputation as an expert in what I do for a living.
4. I promise to collect information and feedback from my customers and ask their permission before sending them things.
6. I promise to befriend two members of the local media and tell them a story about my business.
7. I promise to take one day off per week and do anything BUT work.
8. I promise to attend chamber of commerce meetings in the city where my business is located.
9. I promise to reward my best employees for their hard work. Even in a bad economy, good help is hard to find.
10. I promise to ask 20 people what the biggest problem with my business is and then do something to fix it.
12. I promise to explore and test a way for my customers to use their phones to interact with my business before the year is over.
We are happy to be helping Goodwill with their campus marketing efforts this year. I wanted to share their creative with you because I think it’s excellent. It’s fun. It reinforces the brand. It stands out. And more importantly, it makes me want to shop Goodwill for a Halloween costume. I’m guessing students will share my sentiment.