I was reading through an article by Pedro Silva about recruitment and why companies that want to come out of the recession strong should keep recruiting now. It’s a great story about why companies in this space cannot give up on their position of communicating with potential new hires. It gives 5 reasons why companies should keep their pipeline full:
- Pipeline development is part of their growth strategy. You don’t wait until it snows to gather firewood, and these companies don’t wait until they need a new hire to start identifying candidates who are equipped to be a part of the company’s success.
- They know that long-term hiring success requires a process. It is a lot easier to keep a fire going than it is to start one, so these companies will have an ongoing dialogue with candidates with the intention of making an offer when the time is right.
- A developed candidate pipeline removes major competition from the equation. When the time to hire arrives, these companies either have their offer prepared or they are at the top of the candidate’s mind. This reduces the chances of a salary war.
- Having qualified candidates on hand minimizes delays in production. Sometimes, unforeseen events can cause the ball to be dropped. A developed and managed candidate pipeline allows these companies to rebound quickly and efficiently.
- A company that is actively recruiting is considered a strong company. By continuing to engage prospective candidates, these companies strengthen their own company brand among others in their industry and remain aware of other trends within their market segment.
After reading this, I cannot help but think how many companies that recruit college students each year might miss out on the opportunity to increase their campus position as we come out of the recession. Now is the time to be making some noise, beating the drum, connecting with your consumers or future employees. It’s never been quieter on campus, and students are stuck with a pile of resumes and no place to send them. Let them know you care.
We are recommending to our clients to push more now than at any other time. As we begin hearing stories about the economy turning around, you don’t want to miss out on a chance to talk directly to your audience without having your competitors screaming for their attention at the same time. Strike up the band. It’s time to make some noise and fill the pipeline.